[mythtv-users] The new Acer Aspire X1200 - $459, looks great, could be a combined FE/BE

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jul 9 17:19:15 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 09 July 2008 11:04:02 Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Jul 9, 2008, at 9:53 AM, jedi wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 07:59:29AM -0400, Josh White wrote:
> >> A nice looking case, one that looks like a piece of home theater
> >> equipment,
> >> rather than a PC in the living room has value to some people.  To
> >> others, it
> >> has little value.
> >
> > Let's be clear here.
> >
> > There are actually very few PC cases, even HTPC cases, that have the
> > same footprint as a normal AV component. Even your bestest most
> > expensive and prettiest HTPC cases "aren't going to fit".
> >
> > This is why my frontends are minis.
> >
> > Even something like the Fusion is still going to have a considerable
> > amount of "PC" look to it.
>
> That's why I bought the Zalman HD-160. It's the same footprint as the
> rest of my components and looks really nice stacked in my rack with my
> tuner/receiver, DVD/SA-CD/DVD-A player, turntable and even my
> satellite receivers. When I tell people a "regular" computer does my
> TV stuff, they look all over for the computer. :)

Yup, clothes do make the man, or in this case (no pun intended) the computer.

A cool-looking case is worth nothing to me, but it seems to be worth a lot to
many folks. I'm more interested in good thermal design, and a lot of fancy
cases seem to have passed that up in favor of "cool" designs.

But Myth users are very mild in this regard, look at some of the "gaming"
cases. I actually saw an ad stating you would "devour your enemies" because
of the special design features of their case, anyone who would believe that
is, well, a gamer :-)

beww