[mythtv-users] Copyright Legislation in Canada

Charles philip Chan cpchan at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 9 06:09:06 UTC 2008

Alen Edwards <allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com> writes:

> In the US there is a law called fair use that allows you to make copies
> of your material for your own use.

True, in Canada and the UK it is called "fair dealing".

> MythTV is just a new age VCR and the same laws apply.

True, however the Sony Betamax decision only involves "free,
over-the-air television for time-shifting" and nothing beyond:

http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/fair-use.ars

The content providers are trying to reverse this also with heavy
lobbying.

> I don't think anything on myth is in any way illegal and, while I wish
> you luck in fighting what seems like an unwise law for many reasons, I
> think it best if we all realize that this is completely legal, that
> nobody here is breaking any laws or violating any patents or anything
> like that.

Yes and no. It is conpletely legal in the US if you can get at the
content without breaking any DVD copyright protection scheme or else you
are breaking the DMCA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIPO_Copyright_and_Performances_and_Phonograms_Treaties_Implementation_Act

Charles