[mythtv-users] Help on playing a CD without a screen, several satellite dishes and PSU's

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Jul 9 00:09:04 UTC 2008

On Jul 8, 2008, at 4:26 PM, plainfaceboy wrote:

> I'm planning on building a MythTV Box from scratch, and having done
> a bit of reading, here and elsewhere, I have a few questions I'm
> hoping someone might be able to help with.
> I've not bought anything yet so am happy to be pointed in any
> reasonable direction.
> I want one box (not back/front end), that I can also use as a
> general PC for internet and maybe some games for the kids etc.
>
> 1.    I would want to be able to play a CD without having to have
> the TV/monitor on, ideally knowing which track I was on - I'm
> assuming this is possible, but is it possible with all cases/
> remotes? Do only some of the cases with displays show CD track info?
> The cases with built in screens would push the price too high for me.

Make sure your case has a display that has well-supported linux
drivers. I have an irtrans display with a driver that was a real pain
to get working on x86_64, but compiled just fine under i386. If I had
to do it again, I would have gone with something the standard LCDproc
driver supports.

No idea on your other questions.

-Brad