[mythtv-users] The new Acer Aspire X1200 - $459, looks great, could be a combined FE/BE

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 19:26:14 UTC 2008

This looks like a dang nice HTPC for the living room and is powerful enough
to be a combined FE/BE machine while outputting HD. Here are the specs:

*Acer**(R)** Aspire X1200-U1510A:* *Available now for a MSRP of $459.99*

   - AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual Core 5000+ Processor
   - NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 8200 On-Board Graphics
   - 4GB DDR2 Memory
   - 320GB SATA II Hard Drive (2)
   - 16x DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM SuperMulti, Double-Layer Drive
   - 14-in-One Media Card Reader
   - Windows Vista(R) Premium 64 with SP1

I don't see S-Video but it does have HDMI and claims to have support for
H.264 as well as full 1080P although I'd assume that's some kind of software
support? Video is an "onboard" Geforce 8200 with unknown RAM so I don't know
if that would be an issue or not, I know my PCIe GeForce 5200 outputs HD
with no issue on my combo box. They squeeze the whole shebang in a
not-so-ugly 10.6 x 4.0 x 14.4-inch enclosure, so if it's not that noise it's
a great option for the living room IMHO.

What does everyone think? Engadget article is at
http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/08/acer-rolls-out-the-aspire-x1200-home-theater-friendly-mini-pc-fo/

And the press release is at
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080708005434&newsLang=en