[mythtv-users] Desktop partly off-screen problem

Carl Fongheiser carlfongheiser at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 15:05:55 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 9:42 AM, C.T. Paterson <i.adore.my.64 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> I recently picked up a 720p television (upgrade from my dead CRT) and
> hooked it up to my mythbuntu.  Mostly working - but for a nagging
> problem; the desktop is slightly offscreen up and to the left.  Thus
> far, I've dealt with this by applying an X offset of 34 pixels and a Y
> offset of 15 pixels in the screen settings.  This positions the myth
> window at the upper left corner, but it also leaves some of the screen
> (bottom and to the right) unused.
>
> Can anyone recommend some way that I can somehow reposition the
> desktop itself, rather than the myth window?
>
> I've connected the PC to the TV using a VGA cable.  The TV is an LG
> 32LG30 32".  I'm using a 1360x768 modeline generated with "gtf" (I
> didn't feel great about the 1366x768 modeline it generated).  I've
> confirmed in the TV manual that 1360x768 is a supported resolution
> through the RGB input (horiz freq 47.72 KHz, vert freq 59.799 Hz).
> It's an nvidia card, and I used "envy" to get the latest drivers.

Is there some reason you're not using the EDID information? On my Vizio TV,
you can use the EDID information, and it works great.  I'm using 1366x768,
but to get that, you do need to disable the width alignment check (Option
"ModeValidation" "NoWidthAlignmentCheck")  Anyway, try letting the NVidia
driver query the EDID, and get rid of your mode lines.  You may be
surprised.

Carl Fongheiser