[mythtv-users] A General Directions Question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jul 6 02:32:37 UTC 2008

On 07/05/2008 05:44 PM, steve wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 17:34 -0400, Chuck Filson wrote:

>>> Using non-HTML mail on lists is an excellent idea, yes...
>>>
>>> but the libertarian in me says that if you don't like how his email
>>> displays, you should find the "ignore incoming fonts and colors" knob
>>> on your MUA, or switch clients.  :-)
>> Or delete it and move on!
> Im sure some people (like me) use the same email account for everything.
> I find it a pain to keep switching back and forth between html mail

True, so when you receive the advertisements from newegg or buy.com or
amazon and want to scan them for sales on HDD's, you have to go to
HTML.  Then, you're reading the list and someone's MUA sent an extremely
ugly HTML message with indents instead of quotations and you need to
switch to plain text so that the message starts out closer to properly
formatted when you reply.  Then, someone else on the list sent a message
and their MUA decided that folks reading the plain text version don't
need to see everything, so you have to switch to HTML to get the rest of
the message and ...

So, Mozilla Messaging folk, where's the built-in shortcut key for
changing the view from HTML to plain text?  Thank users for extensions.

>  when
> I have something I want to forward someone else or send something to
> someone thats a say a picture or graphics and not to a mailing list.

Which is why MUA's have a "plain text domains" option.  Everything I
send to any e-mail account at mythtv.org (or a number of other domains)
is automatically sent in plain text only.

>   Im
> completely guessing here, but probably close ..99% of the world uses
> html mail and the small majority like mailing lists that do not, its a
> problem. (ive learned to deal with it) I agree that when posting to
> lists it should be text, but I sometimes too forget what I am configured
> to send as html because I switch back and forth many times a day.

Check out the plain text domains option for your MUA.

Mike