[mythtv-users] OT: Re: HDMI_SPDIF directly to reciever

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Sat Jul 5 23:59:35 UTC 2008

James wrote:
> OTAlen Edwards wrote:
>>

>> James Lockie wrote:

>>> Yamaha said my receiver expects 5 volts.
>>> ASRock never answered (that was a month ago).
>>>
>>> There is 0 volts on the RCA.
>>>
>>> Why do I get sound if there is a zero volt signal?
>>> I tested my voltmeter on a battery to verify it works.
>>>

>> You should read 0 volts with a S/PDIF signal.  They are 0 volts DC and
>> the AC is too high a frequency for my and apparently your voltmeter to
>> read.  If  you had a TTL signal, you would register about 2 volts with
>> the VM set to DC.  If your RX expects 5 volts and your MB reads 0, I
>> would guess it would work and you won't hurt anything (don't sue me, I
>> can't pay anyway).
>>

>> Allen
>>
>> .
>>
> I bought a new meter and it says 1.4V DC :-(
> I put a picture up at: http://lockie.ca/test/voltage.jpg but I doubt it
> is very helpful.
>
> So if my RX expects 5V (DC?) and it is getting 1.4V DC and I have sound,
> do I need the circuit?
> TTL is +5V, and SPDIF is -.5 to +.5V so what is my MB outputting?

That is more like it.  This indicates that you have a TTL signal on the
MB, as I do.  A TTL signal is going to go between almost 0 and something
above 2 volts, let's say 3 volts.  The signal is going to be low (0
volts) half the time and high (3 volts) half the time so the DC value
will measure half way between the two or about 1.5 volts.  This is not
an exact number but it is not 0 VDC, which is what you would measure
with a spdif signal.

I would bet that your Rx expects spdif levels of larger than .2 volts
and less than something.  You say it can take up to 5 volts, which again
I would double check if I were you.  If that is correct, then you should
be OK.

When I was faced with exactly this situation, I built the network.  I
would not be worried about sending too little signal in your situation
but rather double check that you are not sending too much.  It may be
just fine, it all depends on the details of the circuits involved.

Allen