[mythtv-users] Can't get Mythbuntu -fixes to update

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Sat Jul 5 16:30:49 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 4:41 PM, John <reidjr at btconnect.com> wrote:
> Marc Randolph wrote:
>> Howdy all,
>>
>> I've searched, experimented, and asked on various mythbuntu outlets
>> and have come up blank, so I'm hoping that one of you all can help.
>>
>> The long and the short of it is that my version number isn't what I
>> expect. I supposedly installed 0.21.0+fixes17145-0ubuntu0+mythbuntu2,
>> but mythbackend --version shows MythTV Version: 16838
>>
>> More detail:
>>
>> AFTER upgrading from 7.10/0.20.2 to 8.04, I added mythbuntu 0.21-fixes
>> to apt sources.
>>
>> * Problem: 0.21.0+fixes17145 installed correctly as far as I could tell. Well, except that mythbackend doesn't show it:
>> $ mythbackend --version
>> Please include all output in bug reports.
>> MythTV Version : 16838
>> MythTV Branch : branches/release-0-21-fixes
>> Library API : 0.21.20080304-1
>> Network Protocol : 40
>>
>> I reinstalled mythbuntu-desktop thinking that might be the problem (it showed as purged),
>> and then updated to the next -fixes (17392), but --version still shows
>> the original (16838) version number despite ubuntu showing all the correct info:
>>
>> ~$ dpkg -l mythtv-backend
>>  [snip]
>> ii  mythtv-backend        0.21.0+fixes17392-0ub A personal video recorder application (server)
>>

> I dont know why, but the mythbuntu fixes package always gives 16838 as
> its version number. You probably find it has been  updating, but you
> cant tell from mythfrontend --version.

Thank you very much for the response, John.  Unfortunately I think
that is the case.  I just installed wubi on an underpowered windows
machine and installed mythfrontend (and mythcontrolcenter) from the
mythbuntu -fixes package.  It gives the following:

~$ mythfrontend --version
Please include all output in bug reports.
MythTV Version   : 17416
MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-21-fixes
Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1
Network Protocol : 40

Any other ideas? I guess I can wait and see what happens when the next
mythbuntu -fixes update occurs.  Maybe it parks on the first installed
version and doesn't ever actually update after that?

   Marc