[mythtv-users] Migrating HW and from .20 to .21. Concerned about storage groups and import of data

Larry Roberts mythtv at american-hero.com
Fri Jul 4 02:47:47 UTC 2008

John Drescher wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:27 PM, Larry Roberts <mythtv at american-hero.com> wrote:
>> John Drescher wrote:

>>> No. Myth automatically finds the files as long as you setup the
>>> recordings folder to be in the storage group.
>>> John
>> Great.  I was concerned that some field had been added that would cause
>> the import to fail.
>>
>> I'm at the point of importing the file so here goes nothing! (or
>> hopefully EVERYTHING!)
>>
> I believe when you first start the backend the schema will be updated.
>
> John

SUCCESS!

For those following along at home I followed the directions found here:

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html for moving your data to
a new server.  If I had been staying with the same version of the DB I
believe I could have gotten away with just dropping the old db and
restoring the old one, but given the schema changes this way made sense.

I had to restart the backend to have it reflect my upcoming recordings
but all appears well now.

Last thing to figure out is how to get the tv-out of the PVR-350. I
wouldn't be surprised to see a message about that coming up next.  :) I
vaguely remember some ivtvfb stuff in the xorg.conf that had to be
changed and fb drivers I had to update only to find out .20 didn't
support it on the new format.

thanks for the quick response to my overly concerned email!

Larry