[mythtv-users] Long coax (was Re: Questions about Hauppauge...)

Peter VanDerWal peter at vanderwal.us
Thu Jul 3 18:28:18 UTC 2008

> Physical properties like bend radius, strength, weight, water resistance,
> UV
> resistance and others, as well as electrical properties like forward loss,
> maximum rated frequency, return loss, characteristic impedance and others
> all
> have to be considered in choosing the proper cable for a given
> application.
>
> Another very important factor, especially with RG-59/RG-6/RG-11 type
> cables
> that use crimp type connectors is that you must use the correct connector
> for
> the cable in use. There is no such thing as a "one size fits all" crimp
> connector, and a lot of problems happen because the wrong connector was
> used.
>
> There is a reason that hundreds of different types of coax cable and
> associated connectors are made, you have to choose the best one for a
> particular application. Just using what your local Radio Shack has in
> stock
> has led to a lot of problems :-)

Yup,  That's why I went with the RapidRun.
Among all of the points you made, getting a good termination on coax can
be difficult (if you're not experienced) and can require special tools to
do it right.
RapidRun takes all of that out of the picture.  It's relatively low loss,
bends easily, pulls easy, and all you have to do is pick the right ends
and plug them in and screw down the locking ring.
I have the tools and experience to terminate coax properly, but RapidRun
was so slick and easy, and professional looking,  I'm glad I went with it.