[mythtv-users] Software encoders question

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 3 20:15:44 UTC 2008

I'd like to know what the difference is between the Default, LiveTV,
High Quality, and Low Quality software decoders is in Myth 0.21 (under
Utilities/Setup->Setup->TV Settings->Recording Profiles->Software
Encoders (v4l based).  I recorded the minisode of "Rescue Me" the other
night on FX and when I try to play it back, it looks like crap.  I don't
know how else to explain it except that the video is extremely jumpy and
choppy, and the audio is very staticy.

Any recording that I make using the analog portion of my pcHD5500 card
does this.  FWIW, I use the Default profile for everything.  And all of
the recordings that I make using the Digital (DVB) portion of that card
or my Firewire capture playback fine.

Any ideas on what I can look at to figure out how to clean this up?

Thanks,
Harry