[mythtv-users] Long coax (was Re: Questions about Hauppauge...)

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Thu Jul 3 19:32:10 UTC 2008

Peter VanDerWal wrote:
>> Thanks.  I'll probably give it a try.  For right now at least the STB,
>> HD-PVR, and TV are all in the same general vicinity.  I can probably
>> get away with 3 foot runs (maybe even less,
>>
> -snip-
>  I may eventually
>
>> move the HD-PVR closer to the back-end.  This would mean probably a
>> 25' run, but it sounds like even at that distance you are not having
>> any quality issues.
>>

> I used the RapidRun coax system.  It's a bundled, 5 coax, cable with a
> single multipin connector on each end.  Then you just buy appropriate wall
> plates (HDMI, Component + audio, Composite + S-Video, etc.)
> It's good quality stuff, easy to pull, and looks professional when you're
> finished. Plus it's reasonably priced.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/25ft-RapidRun-Video-Runner-Cable/dp/B000YTPA52/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1215107352&sr=1-17
> http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-RapidRun-Component-Wallplate-White/dp/B000CPQ7YQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215107462&sr=1-2

That is good looking cable and indeed reasonably priced.

Just to throw another option into the mix, I use this stuff:
https://www.tselectronic.com/belden/9116.html
One thing to consider in long runs is the loss in the cable.  An easy
way to evaluate that is that the fatter the cable, the lower the loss.
A bundle of these will be much fatter, and thus much less loss than any
multimedia cable.  On the other hand, what you listed is probably good
enough and has some other stuff in the bundle that makes it attractive
for applications where it fits.

It is hard to beat coax though.  A 25 ft run of 3 coax cables would be
about $6.  Of course, you have to buy 1000 feet to get that price.  I
have a lot of cable left over but then again this is my second box.

I have used it for antenna feeds, S-Video, Component, Composite, and
audio (preamp out with distribution amp).

Just another option,

Allen