[mythtv-users] Please help! My mythbackend started to crash sporadically

Andrew Junev a-j at a-j.ru
Thu Jul 3 07:05:34 UTC 2008

Thursday, July 3, 2008, 1:37:21 AM, you wrote:

>     > Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 21:00:06 +0400
>     > From: Andrew Junev <a-j at a-j.ru>

>     > In this situation a script or a program that restarts the backend is
>     > useful, but that's not a fix. I'm sure 0.21 was working fine for me
>     > some time ago. I remember I had no crashes then. So there should be
>     > something out there to fix these crashes...

> Straw-grasping time---does your BE do transcoding or other heavy
> lifting?  Have you made sure its CPU heatsink is firmly attached?

Ths CPU heatsink is fine, I checked that two days ago.
I don't do transcoding, commercial flagging or anything like
that. I just record some shows and watch some live tv from time to
time (my MythTV system is the only DVB-S tuner in my house).

The highest load for this machine is watching some 720p movies. And it
works good all the time - no crashes, no problems.

> I know you tried running memtest; maybe take antistatic precautions
> and wiggle your RAM and any other cards in the machine?  Perhaps a
> contact has gotten slightly corroded.

I did that when I cleaned the system (meaning it was 2 days ago).
Nothing changed...

> (I'd ask, "Is the machine on a UPS?" but it seems unreasonable that
> some weirdo voltage sag from the PSU could lead to a BE segfault but
> not a machine crash.)

I also think so. But the machine is on a UPS, just in case... :)

--
Best regards,
 Andrew