[mythtv-users] Questions about Hauppauge HD-PVR (1212)

Ken Scales kscales at xplornet.com
Tue Jul 1 19:08:15 UTC 2008

John Welch wrote:
> As far as the horsepower needed for recording, I thought the same
> thing that others have said; that it shouldn't require a lot.
> However, when I tried recording from the Windows laptop, which is a
> couple of years old I couldn't really do anything else.  (The laptop
> has 1 GB of memory; don't know the processor off-hand, but it's not
> dual core, or core duo, or anything like that.)  Beyond that, even
> when I let the laptop sit and record for a bit, when I played back the
> recording on my primary front-end, which plays other HD flawlessly,
> the audio and video were way out of sync  Maybe this is pointing more
> toward greater requirements on the playback side of things.

Couple questions about your laptop:
- Is it USB 1.1 or 2.0? Almost certainly need the latter.
- Are you recording directlly to its internal hard drive, or going to
external storage? Could be a factor.
- Do you have the latest updated drivers?

My unit is sitting on a shelf, waiting until bigger distractions are
over (my 3-year-old grandson is staying with us), so I don't have any
actual experiences yet. Thanks for triggering this thread -- it has
helped me get some insight from the MythTV perspective (rather than
Sage). If there is another place where these discussions should be
moved, hope someone will pass on the info.

/ Ken