[mythtv-users] Questions about Hauppauge HD-PVR (1212)

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 16:45:06 UTC 2008

OK, some may say this is OT since the question isn't directly about
MythTV, and especially since this device isn't supported in MythTV
yet.  However, I'm pretty sure some people on the list already have
the device, and more will get it once the Linux drivers mature and it
gets integrated with myth, so here goes.

I got the Hauppauge HD-PVR unit last week, but so far I really haven't
had much chance to test it.  However, my brief testing raised a couple
of questions/concerns.

First, kind of a silly one, but does anyone know if the unit is
supposed to illuminate in blue around the top edge like I've seen in
some on-line photos?  Mine does not do this.  I saw a post on another
forum where someone else alluded to this as well in the form of a
question, but no one answered on that forum.  I don't really care if
it does or does not light up, but I want to make sure I don't have a
defective unit.

Second, when I first saw the unit I was a bit concerned about how I
would set it up because I use the component output of my STB to
connect up to my TV, and this is my primary source of live TV viewing.
 However, I was happy to see the "pass-through" component out of the
device, but then a little less happy when I found that the device had
to be on for this to work.  Overall I can deal with the device having
to be on, but what I'm finding is that the unit throws off a fair
amount of heat when it is on.  I know the first batch had issues with
over-heating to the point of failure.  I have a "Rev C2" unit, which I
think is latest, and it hasn't actually failed to the point of turning
off or anything like that.  Still, I would describe it as "very warm"
to the touch, and it certainly can raise the temp in the room a few
degrees after being on for a bit.  In the winter I probably wouldn't
mind this, but dead in the middle of summer I don't need anything
making the room warmer.  To make matters worse the only way I can see
to control the power of the unit is through the switch on the front of
it; no remote control, no software control, or anything like that.
So, are others seeing this same level of "warming"?  Also, am I
missing something with the power control.

Lastly, I've seen some discussion about needing a fairly high-powered
machine to play back the recordings from this device, but not a whole
lot on the specs required just to record from the device.  To me it
seems like you need a fairly good amount of horsepower in order to
record as well as playback.  Are others seeing the same?  Also, what
are people using for recording settings?

Any info on any of these points would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John