[mythtv-users] HD thin client?

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Wed Jan 30 20:05:01 UTC 2008

>   What about h264? There is that Hauppauge box out on the horizon
>and a lot of transcoded content out there including a lot of what
>we translate ourselves?

H264 is the AppleTV preferred format under it's native OS. Not really
well  known but the AppleTV is not using hardware decode when doing
h264 content decode under the native OS. I've not explored what it
can do handle (not h264 content) yet but others have pumped higher
bit rates than the spec'ed 720p limits and it was fine. I don't think
1080p (aka blue-ray) will fly, way too much cpu required.

But the spec so far on the Hauppauge USB device indicates you can
select the size and encoding rate. Set it to 720p with a reasonable
encoding rate and your are are done. I'm personally convinced that
720p is fine for general viewing and above that is a waste of hard
drive space. I've also got a 1080p native panel size HDTV so I am
able to see the difference. I just can't see spending 20-35GB per
recording.