[mythtv-users] HD thin client?

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Wed Jan 30 17:20:13 UTC 2008

>I think we seriously need to re-evaluate the requirements for HD content
>on Mythtv.
>
>I seen in many many documents that 3 Ghz or higher is needed to play
>back HDTV.  And a year ago, I would definitely agree with that
>statement.
>
>However, I think the devs have made so many improvements to the code in
>the last 6 months that this is simply no longer the case.

I see conflicting performance. With my mythfrontend only 1GHz
pentium-m, 256MB ram AppleTV running linux, I can do mpeg2 software
decode of 480p (less than 25 percent cpu) and 720p (60 percent cpu).
That's great for a less than $250 silent box that includes 40GB hard
drive, 10/100BaseT ethernet, 802.11 b/g and n wireless IR w/
controller, HDMI video, component video, analog and optical audio.

1080i mpeg2 software decode saturates the cpu and I need to do xvmc
assisted mpeg2 decode. However, ever since the ffmpg sync about six
months ago, 1080i with xvmc has been creeping up in cpu usage. What
was once 45-55 percent is now 65-80 percent cpu usage. Have not tried
svn since before the multi-record sync. From the commits on the dev
list, the code is still settling down. Maybe in a few weeks, I'll try
svn again.

There is also a race deadlock using 1080i xvmc that I have not found
yet. Random, sometimes minutes, sometimes hours before it will
deadlock and hang the mythfrontend.