[mythtv-users] New F/E - use same OS?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jan 30 04:11:43 UTC 2008

On 01/29/2008 08:52 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2008, at 4:50 PM, john blue wrote:
>> I have been trialling  Mythtv on my main system, and am ready to
>> setup a new
>> box to go into the lounge room with the TV (for use by all).
>>
>> This box will be  a dedicated MythTV centre combined  F/E B/E with the
>> existing main system becoming the master backend, this will give me
>> a total
>> of 4 Digital tuner cards.
>>
>> When i ventured into Linux  a few years ago I installed SuSE and
>> have stayed
>> with that distro, and now run OpenSuSE v 10.3, and have mythtv v.
>> 0-20.2.11
>> as supplied from the packman site (I haven't ventured as far as SVN
>> versions
>> yet).
>>
>> If I wanted to trial another distro, say Ubuntu or maybe  Mythbuntu
>> would it
>> be feasible to do that on the new Myth box I  am now assembling? Or
>> would
>> that cause issues between the two boxes,  considering that opensuse is
>> running on the master B/E ?  I certainly couldn't afford to have
>> issues which
>> might impact other viewers.
> Myth doesn't care what distro you're on. As long as the backend/
> frontends on all machines are the same myth version, you're good.

Where "same myth version" implies the exact same SVN revision, due to
the fact that almost all the packagers are using 0.20-fixes.  Getting
packages with the exact same revision may be difficult when using more
than one distro.  If you are not running the exact same revision, you're
running an unsupported configuration, so don't be surprised if you
encounter issues.

(In other words, I highly recommend running the same distro--whether
that means switching your existing system or choosing the same distro
for your new one.)

Mike