[mythtv-users] AMD 64 3200+ vs P4 3.0 GHz.

Colin McGregor spamtrap151 at rogers.com
Tue Jan 29 22:37:17 UTC 2008

On January 29, 2008 03:11:04 pm Josh White wrote:
> From the way the question was worded, it sounds to me like he was saying "I
> have two motherboards.  1 is amd with x processor, 1 is intel with y
> processor.  1 has less slots than I want, but is good becuase it as PCI-e
> graphics.  The other has a lowly AGP slot.  Is it worth going to the maybe
> slower intel setup that would allow me to put all my cards in it or not?"
>
>  Given that we don't know that he has 20TB of storage and that he
> transcodes and commercial flags 24/7 on his potential 96 hours of content
> per day, if it were me, I'd give the parts I have that can put all the
> tuners in the same machine a try and then fix stuff when it proved that it
> didn't satisfy me.  Sure, if the guy is deciding to buy new parts, then
> it's worth discussing parts as if any and all options are on the table, but
> in this case, I think most are missing the intent here.
>
> Colin, do I have the wrong take on this?  Could you clarify whether you are
> deciding how best to mix-n-match your existing parts, or are you trying to
> decide what to buy new?

You've got it. I now have a spare (used) P4 3.0 GHz CPU/motherboard, and the
question is, do I put that into my "test" box, or do I put that into my
MythTV box (with the current MythTV box AMD CPU/motherboard being moved into
my "test" box).

I have one 500 GB SATA drive that would stay with the current Silverstone
case... So, key question is, will I find myself hurting on the HDTV stuff due
to the AGP graphics card? Or will the Adaptec VideoOh! card cause grief with
the Hauppauge PVR 150 & PVR 350 cards or ... In essence, before I spend a
couple hours with screw driver in hand I want to know if I there are some
obvious problem spots...

Thanks.

Colin McGregor