[mythtv-users] AMD 64 3200+ vs P4 3.0 GHz.

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Jan 29 19:49:44 UTC 2008

> On Jan 29, 2008 12:27 PM, Colin McGregor <spamtrap151 at rogers.com> wrote:
>
>> I have the option of replacing that with a P4 3.0 GHz on an Asus
>> P4C800-E
>> motherboard and a AGP 8x nVidia 6200 video card. Things like the tuners
>> would
>> be moved from one motherboard to the other (and would allow me to drop
>> in an
>> Adaptec VideoOh! tuner card in addition to the above). Benchmarks seem
>> suggest that the P4 3.0 GHz will typically out perform the AMD by a
>> modest
>> margin (due to higher clock speed). On the other hard, how much of a hit
>> will
>> video performance take going from PCI-E to AGP (my understanding is not
>> much). So, question is, am I better off changing things around?
>
> You don't mention what generation the P4 is, but I'm guessing
> Prescott.  They're notoriously hot for the amount of performance you
> get, I'd stick with the AMD or get a newer Intel setup that supports
> frequency scaling and has lower power consumption.

I dunno. I've never had much luck with frequency scaling.
My guess is that this is the sort of idea (much like
micropartitioning & virtualization) that doesn't play well
with constant intensive usage.

My core duo frontend makes less noise and runs cooler when freq
scaling is turned off completely.

If given the choice between a 3200+ and a P4, definitely go with
the AMD chip. With a good nvidia card, the 3200+ will probably
be good enough to do anything you want with it, even including
reasonably fast h264 decoding.

The vidcard really does make a lot of difference in Myth.

...another odd bit of trivia: I have an old laptop that runs hotter
under XP than it does Ubuntu. Under XP it will run itself so hot that
it has to shut itself down.