[mythtv-users] Pink Screen - Nvidia Driver Upgrade

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Tue Jan 29 16:51:10 UTC 2008

Jonno wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2008 10:06 AM, Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net
> <mailto:nico at youplala.net>> wrote:
>

>     On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 09:43 -0600, Jonno wrote:
>     > Every so often (I think it happens when I pause tv or a
>     recording for
>     > a long time then return to watch) I get a pink screen. Audio still
>     > works.
>     >
>     > I read on the Ubuntu forums
>     > (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=572057) that this was a
>     > Nvidia driver issue that could be fixed be either downgrading or
>     > upgrading the driver. However I don't really understand how to do
>     > this. I have the Nvidia drivers in use (100.14.19)
>     >
>     > Here is my system info:
>     > Mythbuntu 7.10 install
>     > AMD 64
>     > Kernel: 2.6.22-14-generic
>     > Current Nvidia driver: 100.14.19
>     >
>     > I have tried to download the latest driver from Nvidia (169.09) and
>     > install as described on their site (sh .....pkg2.run) but I get
>     errors
>     > to do with no precompiled kernel interface.
>     >
>     > Can someone help me figure out how to upgrade my Nvidia driver?
>
>     you have the package nvidia-glx-new (100 series, recent) installed.
>
>     Use the package nvidia-glx (9000 series, a bit older) instead.
>
>     Nico
>

> Thanks. I did that through Synaptic, rebooted and everything seems
> fine. I'll let you know if I ever see pink again...

For what it is worth, search through the archives.  You'll see this same
complaint a few times.  The pink screen lock-up started with the 100.x
drivers (the 9755 drivers did not exhibit this problem), then went away
with 100.14.11, but came back again with 100.14.19 drivers (the 169.09
driver broke XvMC for me).  I've stuck with the 100.14.11 drivers and
they have worked rather well without any pink screens.

-Rich