[mythtv-users] Recording/live-tv video quality (aka do PVR150 encoders suck?)

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Jan 28 14:09:51 UTC 2008

On Jan 28, 2008, at 3:45 AM, Scott Traurig wrote:

> There can’t be an encoding rate mismatch because we are in the
> analog domain at this point.

Encoding rate has VERY MUCH to do with the quality you see. What is
your recording rate and size?

>  This issue has nothing to do with the tuner. I expect that to be
> substantially worse. Let’s discuss PVR150 encoding of baseband video.
>
> I’m not saying DVD output is better than TV (of course it is) but
> only that by playing a DVD that looks good that validates the path
> from the myth decoder on out, i.e. it’s a PVR150 input processing
> problem.

Or a driver problem. It's hard to diagnose "bad" video problems
without seeing what the problem is first hand. Pixelation? Ghosting?
Banding? Unsaturated color? Interlacing? There are some ways to
improve each of these, but a general "looks bad" doesn't have a single
magic suggestion to improve.

> At this point it seems that most myth users must be insensitive to
> quality and I am in a minority here. It also seems the only way I’ll
> ever know is to upgrade my cable service to HD so that I can use
> either the S-video or firewire outputs on the HD STB.

You can probably keep your analog service and get a new STB with s-
video out. Call your cable provider and say you bought a new TV and
you only have s-video connections on it. They will probably send you a
new box without changing your service. Depends on your company.