[mythtv-users] Debugging HDHomeRun tuning

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Mon Jan 28 03:40:10 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 06:37:25PM -0500, Dan Ritter wrote:

> I had my HDHomeRun set up for a dozen or so clear-QAM channels
> from Comcast. Today I switched to RCN.
>
> Using VLC, I can see almost 40 clear-QAM channels, all QAM-256,
> but MythTV doesn't want to scan any of them, timing out the
> whole way down. I'm running svn 14372.
>
> Anyone with ideas?

To follow up, for the benefit of posterity: timeouts with no
tables found can sometimes be cured by extending the timeout
periods from 1 and 3 seconds to 10 and 20 seconds; RCN has
channels on both QAM-64 and QAM-256, unless Myth isn't
differentiating well between them; manual station identification
is best done in early prime time hours, and weekend mornings are
the worst. Differentiating eleven different infomercials is a
pain.

RCN in the Boston area has many, many more clear-QAM channels
than Comcast, and you can get a static IP on their network for
not very much extra. Their tech support is polite and available
at 9 PM Eastern on a Saturday. Once they sort out the CableCard,
I'll be able to recommend them without reservations.

-dsr-

subversive content by DHS, and is
believed to be treasonous Commie propaganda.