[mythtv-users] The end of analog - Digital Converter Vaporware?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jan 26 01:38:55 UTC 2008

Curtis Porter wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 16:49 -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
>> Kevin Bailey wrote:
>>>                                         ^^^^^^^
>>> DIGITAL channels 7-13. My channels.conf file says that
>>> channel 7 is at 707MHz.
>> A channel frequency is a channel frequency, digital or analog.
>
> In my area, the TV station that broadcasts on channel 7 (174-180 MHz) in
> analog is also broadcasting a digital signal on channel 42 (638-644
> MHz).  Next February the analog VHF channel will stop broadcasting
> altogether, and the digital broadcast on channel 42 will continue.  That
> frees up the VHF bandwidth to be auctioned, which is one of the driving
> reasons behind the whole analog -> digital conversion in the first
> place.

I guess I didn't make my point clear. I'm complaining about the
broadcasters using their VHF channel number to identify their UHF
digital channel.

There might be some merit in the practice, probably many, if not most
viewers identify a station by channel number, and they want to keep that
"goodwill".

But it can make it difficult to find the UHF digital channel, as who
would think to look for "channel 5" (for example) on channel 51 or 37?

Add to that the fact that cable systems often move stations to a
different channel than their off-air assignments and you can understand
viewer confusion.

I guess the problem is that viewers identify TV stations by channel
number, though they usually identify radio stations by call-sign, except
where the radio stations use "cutsey" names like "Q" and "Z", which have
nothing to do with their call-signs.

beww