[mythtv-users] ivtv falls over and plays dead

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 19:10:45 UTC 2008

> My understanding (at least at the time I built that kernel) is that ivtv
> is now part of mainline and isn't supported/distributed outside of
> mainline.
>
> That's why I posted my kernel version.

It it is in your kernel version but there still is an ivtv version
that you will have in your dmesg output. I am not entirely sure if
your version has the fix for that. I had this problem a while back
where every few weeks IVTV would lock up the tuner during the init
phase of mythtv giving leaving a zero byte file and I would get a DMA
TIMEOUT 00000001 error in my dmesg. After that I had to reboot to get
my ivtv driver to work. My solution at the time was to use PIO instead
of DMA. This was with ivtv-0.10.X and a 2.6.20 or older kernel. In
late December I upgraded to the Bleeding Edge driver
(http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Download#Bleeding_Edge_driver) and I
have never seen this problem again. One other nice thing with this is
that it has no dependence on kernel version so I can use whatever
kernel I want and just compile the module and tools and they just
work.

John