[mythtv-users] The end of analog - Digital Converter Vaporware?

Glenn Harris gharris+list+mythtv at eklo.com
Wed Jan 23 22:51:08 UTC 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 4:55 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2008, at 11:32 AM, Greg Mischel Smith wrote:
>
> > As the statement says, the coupons will expire 90 days from the date
> > they are issues. Coupons are not being issued yet, I believe they
> > are waiting until more converter boxes are available. Nonetheless,
> > they should be issued sometime in February and converter boxes
> > should be in stores shortly thereafter. At least one of the
> > companies is willing to take a hit and sell the converter box for
> > approximately $40 (so it won't cost consumers anything). I'm sorry,
> > but I cannot find the story off hand that talked about it. I also
> > think the company is banking on selling its higher end model
> > converter boxes which do not qualify for the $40 rebate. And again,
> > their $40 model does qualify.
>
> If any actually turn up for $40, I plan on buying one with my coupon.
> That way I can find out if I can actually get an OTA HD signal before
> I potentially waste $170 on an HD Home Run.

You won't be able to output in HD using one of the 'freebee'
converters, but it should let you know if you can at least get a good
digital signal.

Echostar and LG (I think) are going to make boxes available for just
under $40.  You can apparently use the coupon on antennas and other
such items as well.

A good reference for all of this:
https://www.dtv2009.gov/
You can apply for the coupons (only two per household), find
converters and retailers, etc.  Good times.

Engadget has a bunch of posts dealing with this, for example:

Slew of retailers to carry TV converter boxes; coupon requests open in 2008
http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/12/slew-of-retailers-to-carry-tv-converter-boxes-coupon-requests-o/

Hands-on with the EchoStar TR-40 and TR-50 converter boxes
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/07/hands-on-with-the-echostar-tr-40-and-tr-50-converter-boxes/

Did you apply for your TV converter box coupons yet?
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/01/did-you-apply-for-your-tv-converter-box-coupons-yet/

Good luck!

--Glenn