[mythtv-users] MythTV as a Gift (Hardware Recommendations)

Marius Schrecker marius at schrecker.org
Wed Jan 23 13:35:30 UTC 2008

Hi all,
I'd like to question the 7300 video card as I'm trying to make the same
decision for my own MythTV box.

Here's what I'm thinking about:

1. XvMc is only supported up to and including the 7000 series, but it's
buggy, and with your processor I'm sure you don't want it.

2. later series (8000) have smaller gap sizes in the chips, and should
theoretically give the same performance at lower power=heat.

Ther are a couple of 65nm chips out, but they seem to be
high-end/expensive at the moment. A google threw up the 7200 as being
65nm, but this turned out to be a red-herring/typo.

So far I've been unable to corroborate this, but have been wondering about
running an underclocked 8400 GS / 8500 GS (80nm) as an alternative.

Googling otherwise does seem to throw up the 7600 GS as a cool chip.

Comments?