[mythtv-users] External firewire enclosure for DVD drive.

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Jan 23 01:31:20 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 05:06:22PM -0600, Sean Goodpasture wrote:

> > > I'll ask the obvious question, but why firewire?  USB2.0 is jsut about
> > > as fast and dang near more reliable.
> > >

> > Have you used both? I can't imagine anyone that has used both even
> > asking about this.
> >
> > Firewire is a much better performer. Since it has a very good "baseline"
> > version, it is much less problematic to get a firewire drive working in
> > a mode that will offer good performance. USB can be a royal pain in this
> > regard. A firewire drive will also generate a dramatically lower number
> > of hardware interrupts and be less of a drain on the system it's attached
> > to.
> >
> > The bane of my last job was data transport using a USB drive.
> >
> > Splurge and get a dual interface chassis.
> >
> > > I got some for about $15 each after shipping a few weeks ago and they
> > > work just fine on my Windows and Ubuntu PCs (I put DVD burners in
> > > them).
> >
> > [deletia]

> We *are* talking about a CD or DVD here right?  You'll be limited by
> the device before you're limited by the xfer rate.

    I wasn't thinking along those lines but it would still be
a potential problem. USB in it's basic version is really quite
unsuitable to any sort of bulk storage medium.

    DVD devices can be pretty fast (when ripping). They can
push data around a lot faster than a degraded USB port can
actually.

> Given all the firewire issues that people have, I'd say that USB would
> be a lot easier than firewire to get up and running.

    I thought that too at one point, before putting USB storage to
serious use with a variety of systems that weren't my own personal
property. OTOH, I've never found dealing with firewire to be
particularly difficult.

    Firewire is nothing to be intimidated by.