[mythtv-users] IDE or CF

Bill Omer bill.omer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 21:09:51 UTC 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 4:01 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2008 3:49 PM, Dewhirst, Rob <dewey at ku.edu> wrote:
>
> > My frontend has been running off a 2GB CF for quite some time without
> > problems.  Booting is slower, but performance otherwise doesn't seem
> > affected.
> >

> The most important thing here is that the CF card has wear leveling built in
> or you use a file system that supports that. If you get a large enough CF
> drive and have wear leveling it should take quite some time to wear it out
> considering how slow the CF writes data and that each cell can take 100,000
> (or more) writes before failure.
>
> John

I decided to get a hard drive for my mbe, but I have my slave backend
running off a 2 gig usb stick.  So far so good!  I kept logging
running for mythbackend for a little while to make sure things seemed
to be working, then turned it off.  Since thats the only thing
running, the logs dont get written to very often at all.