[mythtv-users] Mildly OT - How to extract .jpeg snapshots from recordings

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Jan 22 15:37:35 UTC 2008

> On Jan 22, 2008 9:22 AM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
>> Brian Jameson wrote:
>> > Having created a DVD Archive of recordings I would like to obtain some
>> > snapshots from the original recordings to form the cover for the DVD.
>> > Ideally these should be .jpeg or .png. Any suggestions on how to do
>> this
>> > simply with MythTV, or utilities I could install on the same box would
>> be
>> > much appreciated.
>> >

>> I use avidemux for this.     It's a very basic editor that lets you grab
>> images.
>>

> The absolute simplest way to do this I'm aware of, using tools you've
> probably already got:
>
> mplayer -nosound -vo jpeg:quality=100 <MOVIE> -ss OFFSETTIME -endpos 00:01
>
> For example, to grab some frames (and you'll get way more than you
> want, likely) from ten seconds in:
>
> mplayer -nosound -vo jpeg:quality=100 "Ice Age.avi" -ss 00:10 -endpos
> 00:05
>

> Then just pick a good one.

    Ultimately, it's this last part that seems the most difficult.
Finding a good snapshot in a deterministic way seems to be well nigh
impossible. I tried doing this for my Old Trek episodes and eventually
gave up on it. Eventually, I just decided to use the same "poster image"
for each season of the DVD's I have. I just use the amazon image for the
box in question.

    Oddly enough, this doesn't work so well for Star Trek... '-)

    Works pretty good for just about everything else though.