[mythtv-users] Mildly OT - How to extract .jpeg snapshots from recordings

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 14:42:57 UTC 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 9:22 AM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
> Brian Jameson wrote:
> > Having created a DVD Archive of recordings I would like to obtain some
> > snapshots from the original recordings to form the cover for the DVD.
> > Ideally these should be .jpeg or .png. Any suggestions on how to do this
> > simply with MythTV, or utilities I could install on the same box would be
> > much appreciated.
> >

> I use avidemux for this.     It's a very basic editor that lets you grab
> images.

The absolute simplest way to do this I'm aware of, using tools you've
probably already got:

mplayer -nosound -vo jpeg:quality=100 <MOVIE> -ss OFFSETTIME -endpos 00:01

For example, to grab some frames (and you'll get way more than you
want, likely) from ten seconds in:

mplayer -nosound -vo jpeg:quality=100 "Ice Age.avi" -ss 00:10 -endpos 00:05

Then just pick a good one.

Ry