[mythtv-users] Per-usage internet billing. WAS: Vote for Miro Integration into MythTV

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Mon Jan 21 02:07:18 UTC 2008

* On Sun Jan 20, 2008 at 06:21:25PM -0600, Michael Segulja wrote:
> On Jan 20, 2008, at 1:06 PM, Chris Pinkham wrote:

> > This is why your internet provider is selling a service.  You're
> > paying for a service, not a quantity of something.  If grandma only

> I'm by far no expert in this area but just wanted to throw in my 2
> cents on this comment.  If you think you're paying your internet
> provider for a 'service', not a quantity of something, try downloading
> excessive amounts of data per day and you'll find out that 'unlimited

That's why they have a "TOS" (aka Terms Of Service).  If you're abusing
their service, they have the right to cut you off.  Just because it is
a service, doesn't mean it is unlimited.  It's not unlimited bandwidth,
why should it come with unlimited data transfer?

> Anyway, just wanted to pipe in.  I've heard many, many stories on
> various podcasts I listen to of people having their 'service' they pay
> for interrupted because they surpassed some unknown limit that Comcast
> and/or Time-Warner keep secret even though they advertise unlimited
> access.

People speak with their dollars (or by complaining at city council
meetings).  :)

--
Chris