[mythtv-users] Per-usage internet billing. WAS: Vote for Miro Integration into MythTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 21 01:13:05 UTC 2008

steve wrote:

> it would be nice if time warner in the states did that, business
> accounts start at $200 a month for them versus my 8meg at $50 month. but
> I cant complain too much, they block no ports on residential at least
> not in my area of ny.

Don't get me started about T/W, I used to work for them (though another
division).

Here in the boondocks of Wyoming a residential cable internet account
will have port 25 blocked and the ISP scans for servers running on port 80.

I suppose you could run a web server on a different port, and blocking
port 25 makes a consumer machine pretty useless to a spammer even if he
can capture it. Most consumers aren't even aware of the restrictions.

But the main thing is that they TELL you about it, up front, and suggest
that if those restrictions are a problem you might be interested in a
business account, which is perhaps 10% more than the residential price
(for the most basic service and a single dynamic IP)

In addition, with a business account, the speed is no longer "up to" but
is a guaranteed minimum (and maximum as well, they pretty well throttle
you at your assigned speed).

As an added benefit I get a phone number that gets answered by a human
being who is actually on the same continent as I am, and seems to
understand TCP/IP :-)

But we are all pretty much prisoners of our local providers.

Anyone using HughesNet? Any comments?

beww