[mythtv-users] Per-usage internet billing. WAS: Vote for Miro Integration into MythTV

Michael Segulja msegulja at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 00:21:25 UTC 2008

On Jan 20, 2008, at 1:06 PM, Chris Pinkham wrote:

> This is why your internet provider is selling a service.  You're
> paying for a service, not a quantity of something.  If grandma only
> needs to check her email then she can get by with a 256/512/768/etc.
> Kilobit DSL service instead of the FIOS 30 Megabit service.  So, she
> can pay less than the gamer across the street with his shiney new
> FIOS service.

I'm by far no expert in this area but just wanted to throw in my 2
cents on this comment.  If you think you're paying your internet
provider for a 'service', not a quantity of something, try downloading
excessive amounts of data per day and you'll find out that 'unlimited
access' doesn't really mean unlimited, especially when Time-Warner/
Comcast is concerned.  I have no idea what per-usage billing could be,
and it could be really bad, but on the other hand I don't have a
problem paying for something like 5GB per month if the cost is $30 -
$50 per month, and if for some reason I go over I pay per megabyte or
gigabyte.  At least then I know what my limit is rather than some
shady marketing BS that it's unlimited until I actually try to use it,
and then I'm penalized.

Anyway, just wanted to pipe in.  I've heard many, many stories on
various podcasts I listen to of people having their 'service' they pay
for interrupted because they surpassed some unknown limit that Comcast
and/or Time-Warner keep secret even though they advertise unlimited
access.

-Michael