[mythtv-users] Storage space question

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 21:25:53 UTC 2008

> I switched from just using a bunch of drives to a RAID 5 array in
> November.  In December, just after I left for 2 weeks out-of-town over
> Christmas, one of the drives in my RAID array crashed.  The array itself
> stayed up, with no loss of data, until I got back to town two weeks later
> and was able to replace the drive.  8 hours later, the new drive was
> completely synched and the array was again protected from a drive failure.
>  I am sold on RAID 5, and consider the loss of use of one drive in the array
> to be a worthwhile trade-off.

This is a good option if you want to guarantee no data loss (well as long as
you catch it when the first disk goes down). I have over 10TB of data at
work on linux software raid 6 but at home I only raid the boot and system
partitions and keep the video disks as separate drives. One nice thing about
having separate drives for your recordings is that I have them individually
power down when not being used for 5 hours so this saves power.

John