[mythtv-users] Features of newest versions/SVN

Charles Mason charlie.mas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 19:33:00 UTC 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 7:02 PM, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> >On Jan 17, 2008, at 10:07 AM, Michelle Dupuis wrote:
>>
>> I read about a flash based interface to MythTV - I assume this is comming in
>> SVN.  Is there anywhere that a non-programmer can look to see what major
>> features are coming in upcoming MythTV versions?
>
> I assume you mean the ability to stream recordings over the web via Flash.
> That feature does exist in SVN, but it's just a proof of concept and will
> not be included as part of the next release. At least, not enabled by
> default as it's definitely not ready for casual use.

The Mythbuntu distribution has some packages which are automatically
built from the SVN head (where all the new features are bought
together) which you can install every week if you like to get the
latest features. You do need to be a bit careful because some times
this introduces bugs which can mess your set up.

The developers try to test there patchs before they get applied to the
SVN but ocasionally bugs can slip through. If you want to play with
the new features and its a great way of learning Linux and MythTV
skills.

The problem comes if you are relying on a SVN head version that to
record yours or worse still other peoples favorite TV shows and it
crashes during the recording. Its usually fairly stable but you have
to accept its a risk.

If you read the Dev mailing list and keep regular database back ups
you can make an educated guess as when its a good idea to upgrade or
not. Then if it all goes wrong at least you can revert back to the
database backup.

On the point of the Myth Web's flash streaming. Its been in the SVN
head for a coupple of months in some form or other. On my system I
could never get it to work until about a month ago. Now it seems to
works flawlessly with one exception, I get no sound at all on the
streamed video. I don't really use it so I have never investigated the
problem and I haven't updated my system for a few weeks.

The last day or two a big new feature commonly called Multi-Rec, has
been added to the SVN head and now to Mythbuntu so the SVN head is in
a little more flux than usual. Although from most posts it seems to
work very well for most people. So perhaps now is good time to
experiment. But you have been warned about what can go wrong :)

Hope that helps.

Charlie M