[mythtv-users] lirc incompatible with new dev/input device?

Tino Keitel tino.keitel at gmx.de
Thu Jan 17 16:52:01 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 11:44:10 -0500, Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> I've been working through some newly installed lirc problems, and have now
> gotten as far as lirc successfully connecting to /dev/input/event3 (my DVB
> NOVA-S card).
>
> When I start lirc (as below), the first 2 lines appear and the console waits
> at "lircd(userspace) ready". Then, when I start IRW on that machine I see
> lircd "initializing '/dev/input/event3'. However, lircd seems hung at this
> point.
>
> What is going on? I can tell the remote works because the remote arrow keys
> are translated to keyboard arrow keys. My lirc version is
> 0.8.3-73_cvs20071109.fc6. I tried stepping back to version 0.8.2 but lircd
> would not recognize the dev/input device.
>
> I've been reading about using a kbd driver as the dev/input for the IR
> remote.  Without the LIRC part, will MythTV recognize these keyboard events?
> How can I find out what events Mythtv responds to?  Where to now?

You can use the remote without lirc, as the remote acts as an input
device. AFAIK the keys can be mapped with input-kbd from the
input-utils package. However, your MythTV needs to have the keyboard
focus in this case. When you use lirc, the remote works independent of
the keyboard focus.

How exactly do you use lircd? Normally, the remote keys shouldn't
generate keyboard events anymode when lirc uses the device. At least
this is the case in my setup.

Regards,
Tino