[mythtv-users] 0.21

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 13:43:17 UTC 2008

On 1/16/08, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Off topic noob question, please don't kill me - One reason I've stayed
> away from SVN is my lack of expertise with compiling from source. Are there
> ways to install from SVN via Yum? Again, sorry for the OT question and
> diverting this thread but I've often wondered if this was possible.

Compiling from source is actually quite easy.  In fact - if you can install
a distribution, and get your x-server running, going the next step to
downloading the source and compiling it is not that much of a leap.  it
sounds more intimidating than it is.

I've been running on SVN for about a year now, and have found it reasonably
stable.  As others have pointed out - as long as you keep an eye on the
lists and the commit/tickets, you'll know what to expect.

I found this guide very helpful :
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_MythTV_SVN_on_Fedora_Core -
and can be used with other distributions such as ubuntu as well (just
changing yum to apt-get, etc).

If you are nervous about running SVN, compiling and screwing up your main
set-up, one easy way to dip your toes in the water is to install
VMware-server on your computer (assuming you've got enough memory), install
a distribution on it (or use one of the VMware virtual appliances that come
pre-configured) and practice with subversion and compiling on that.