[mythtv-users] What to expect when you're expecting FireWire

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 02:48:13 UTC 2008

On Jan 16, 2008 11:44 AM, Ryan Steffes <rbsteffes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to wrap this up, today I was informed by someone at the customer
> service center their managers have told them they didn't provide ANY
> STB with active firewire ports and they had no intention to, saying
> they believed they weren't required to until next year (I'm pretty
> sure they were confusing the OTA digital mandate with the HD 1394
> mandate).  Since I didn't have a copy of the regs with me, and my
> lunch break was already about 40 minutes long from standing in line, I
> opted for just continuing to use my blaster with s-video out.
>
> Time Warner is ingenious.  They just make it so dang inconvenient to
> argue with them, they suck your will right out of you before forcing
> them to do something they don't want to.

Ryan,

Cox Cable suddenly turned off the IEEE1394 ports for all of their set top
boxes last August.  I was successful in getting them turned back on in short
order by filing a complaint with the FCC and writing emails to many Cox
executives.

See my posts at:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/286001?search_string=cox%20fcc;#286001
.

The specific *FCC* regulation that requires the firewire ports to be active
is 47cfr76.640 where it
says:

(4) Cable operators shall:

(i) Effective April 1, 2004, upon request of a customer, replace any leased
high definition set-top box, which does not include a functional IEEE 1394
interface, with one that includes a functional IEEE 1394 interface or
upgrade the customer's set-top box by download or other means to ensure that

the IEEE 1394 interface is functional.

(ii) Effective July 1, 2005, include both a DVI or HDMI interface and an
IEEE 1394 interface on all high definition set-top boxes acquired by a cable

operator for distribution to customers.

My guess is the local tech that you spoke to has no idea what firewire or
IEEE1394 is.  You need to escalate this to a manager in order to have an
intelligent conversation.

Good luck.

Tom