[mythtv-users] What to expect when you're expecting FireWire

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 19:44:16 UTC 2008

On Jan 9, 2008 10:03 AM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2008 8:45 AM, Ryan Steffes <rbsteffes at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > My box seems to be relatively unknown, at least to google.  I did find
> > > some threads after randomly searching around for a box with a similar
> > > model number, SA4250, so I'm going to try some of the fixes and
> > > suggestions from those threads, but nothing I've tried so far looks
> > > promising.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Ry
> > >

> > So since the SA4250 tips didn't seem to make a difference for my
> > SA4240, can anyone offer suggestions on how to determine if the ports
> > just don't work or if I've messed something up?
> >
> > I tried all the variations of broadcast/p2p and Box type from within
> > mythtv-setup and got nothing.  I'm not surprised because test_mpeg2
> > didn't work either.
> >
> > Is it about time to take it to the linux firewire mailing list?
> >
> > Ry
> >

> I  used to use the SA4250HDC firewire capture worked but not channel
> changing.
>
> Mitchell

Just to wrap this up, today I was informed by someone at the customer
service center their managers have told them they didn't provide ANY
STB with active firewire ports and they had no intention to, saying
they believed they weren't required to until next year (I'm pretty
sure they were confusing the OTA digital mandate with the HD 1394
mandate).  Since I didn't have a copy of the regs with me, and my
lunch break was already about 40 minutes long from standing in line, I
opted for just continuing to use my blaster with s-video out.

Time Warner is ingenious.  They just make it so dang inconvenient to
argue with them, they suck your will right out of you before forcing
them to do something they don't want to.

Ry