[mythtv-users] Tuner priority question

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 08:16:13 UTC 2008

On 16/01/2008, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've recently added a new master backend to my Myth network, and
> relegated my old backend/frontend to a slave backend/frontend.  My
> current set up as follows:
>
> Tuner 1: SD card in master backend
> Tuner 2: SD Card in slave backend
> Tuner 3: HD card in slave backend
> Tuners 4/5: HD Homerun on master backend
>
> I didn't adjust any priorities on the cards other than adding them in
> that particular order.
>
> I was looking through the archives, and came across this post:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/165477#165477
>
> According to this, it seems like my system should *either* prefer
> recording on tuenr 1 for SD and tuner 3 for HD *or* tuner 2 for SD and
> tuner 5 for HD.  It seems, though, that the majority of the recordings
> happen on tuners 2 and 3 - the slave backend.  I'm not NFS mounting my
> recordings drive (and the new master backend has much more horsepower
> for commercial detection and transcoding), so I'd like to keep the
> majority of the recording on the master backend.  Is the best way to
> solve this to delete all of the cards, and re-add them starting with
> the master backend, or with the slave backend?

Go into mythtv-setup on the now-master backend and choose the 'Delete
All Capture Cards' options on the Capture Card interface. This will
remove all trace of capture cards and their priorities from MythTV en
masse.

The MythTV DB remembers the order the cards were originally added
(their cardid) in order to determine which card to prefer (if you make
no further card priority changes once things are up and running).

Once you have cleared out the capture cards, re-add them in the order
you want them to be used, starting with the highest priority card.
Once this is completed, go into the Input Connections interface and
re-attach your video source(s) to the relevant card inputs.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/