[mythtv-users] Myth can't passthrough digital audio, but xine and mplayer can

G Venkataraman gvenkat at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 07:16:36 UTC 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 9:25 PM, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com> wrote:

> On 1/16/08, Ray Lischner <linux at tempest-sw.com> wrote:
> > I have a DG965OT (Intel HD audio), running Opensuse 10.3. I'm using
> > optical digital audio to connect to my receiver. I can get stereo PCM
> > just fine. I can run xine and set audio pass through and get 5.1 audio
> > without any difficulties, and the same goes for mplayer. The only
> > problem I have is MythTV. When I set it to AC3 passthough, the receiver
> > changes to show that it is receiving 5.1 (or sometimes some other Dolby
> > Digital configuration), but I hear no sound.
> >
> > I've tried everything I can think of, but can't figure out why MythTV is
> > different from everything else on this box. Any suggestions?
>
> What's set as your audio output?

Could it be that the "use video as timebase" setting is enabled on your
frontend configuration ? I had a similar problem a few days ago when the AC3
to S/PDIF pass through in MythTV (on my Intel DG965WH board) stopped working
(when I was fiddling around with some frontend settings).

As is detailed on the MythTV wiki page
here<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound_with_AC3_and_SPDIF#Configure_MythTV_for_Digital_Sound>,
the "Use video as timebase" setting is incompatible with AC3 to S/PDIF pass
through and has to be disabled (unchecked). It is found under the Playback
settings of TV settings on the frontend.

-=Venkat=-