[mythtv-users] PS3 front-end with UPnP

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Jan 16 04:17:17 UTC 2008

On Jan 15, 2008, at 4:25 PM, David Durham, Jr. wrote:

>> Yes. OTOH, if you're using Myth mostly for HD, that shouldn't be a
>> problem (wait, no, even then some stations use an audio codec
>> that's not
>> supported, so you need to transcode the audio after recording the
>> show -
>> I forgot the details).
>
> My understanding is that it will only play the SD mpeg2 stream, but it
> does upscale them.

Mine *usually* plays mpeg2 content ok. Sometimes I get a generic
"unsupported data" or "corrupt data" and no idea why. Also, any HD
will play video with no audio stream. This is all OTA content. I've
tried on a plethora of stations all with the same issue. I just
haven't complained about it since I can't fix it and can't be bothered
to look into why it's happening.

>>> with it, but the big issue that I noticed was how long it took to
>>> discover the mythtv media server.  The "search for media server"
>>> didn't seem to work, it just took time and it eventually discovered
>>> the server.
>>
>> So, how long does it take? Half an hour?
>
> Don't know.

Mine found it in a few seconds, but I put my PS3 on the same switch as
my myth boxes. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Now that
it knows about it, the response time is pretty fast.