[mythtv-users] DVI vs. S-Video

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 02:52:47 UTC 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 9:46 PM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Phil Bridges wrote:

> >> It was cut-n-pasted (I see the misspelling. Ooops!), but that option
> >> isn't in there any longer.  I took it out based on a few other peoples
> >> suggestions.  Here's the relevant sections as they exist right now:
> >>
> >> Section "Monitor"
> >>     Identifier  "Monitor0"
> >>     VendorName  "Samsung"
> >>     HorizSync   30.0 - 50.0
> >>     VertRefresh 60.0 - 60.0
> >> EndSection
> >>
> >> Section "ServerFlags"
> >>     Option "blank time" "0"
> >>     Option "standby time" "0"
> >>     Option "suspend time" "0"
> >>     Option "off time" "0"
> >> EndSection
> >>
> >> Section "Device"
> >>     Identifier  "Videocard0"
> >>     Driver      "nvidia"
> >>     VendorName  "nVidia"
> >>     BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce"
> >>     Option      "RenderAccel" "1"
> >>     Option      "NoLogo" "true"
> >>     Option      "UseEvents" "True"
> >> EndSection
> >>
> >> Section "Screen"
> >>     Identifier "Screen0"
> >>     Device     "Videocard0"
> >>     Monitor    "Monitor0"
> >>     DefaultDepth     24
> >>     SubSection "Display"
> >>         Viewport   0 0
> >>         Depth     24
> >>         Modes    "1280x720_60" "720x480_60"
> >>     EndSubSection
> >> EndSection
> >>
> >> Section "DRI"
> >>     Group 0
> >>     Mode  0666
> >> EndSection
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Harry
> >>

> > You still need to tell Xorg where to send your output, or it will go
> > to the default - CRT VGA.
> >
> > Try this:
> >
> > Section "Device"
> >        Identifier  "Card0"
> >        Driver      "nvidia"
> >        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
> >        Option       "RenderAccel" "true"
> >        Option       "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
> >        Option       "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"
> >        #Option       "NoLogo" "1"
> > EndSection
> >
> > And see if you get any output on your DVI-connected monitor.  You may
> > need to replace DFP with DFP0
> >

> OK, that seemed to do it.  The screen now shows up, even though it seems
> to be kicked over to the left a little more than it used to, and a few
> things seemed to be cut off the bottom (but I'm not 100% sure about that
> one).  All in all, it looks much better.  Would that have anything to do
> with the modes in the "Screen" section?
>
> It's not a big deal as it's now working as I hoped.  Thanks alot for all
> of your help and assistance.
> Harry

You can see if the TV sends out valid EDID information.  Add this line
to your "Screen" section:
        Option          "UseEDID" "True"

If that works, you shouldn't have to worry about modelines.  If it
doesn't, comment that line out, and starting looking for a good
modeline - check the Gentoo-wiki link I sent earlier for that.