[mythtv-users] Neoware Thin Clients

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jan 16 02:33:16 UTC 2008

Mark A. Hoover wrote:
> I've found a couple Neoware thin client boxes that have 800 mhz and 900
> mhz processors in them and thought about picking a few of these up in
> order to make Myth front ends out of them until I can build the front end
> that I really want.  What I'm trying to find out is if anybody has built a
> box on such a slow machine?  I don't need it to do HD right now, so if
> it'll do SD it'll work for the time being.

Certainly machines with even slower CPUs have been used as frontends,
the MVP is an example, but it's hardware is optimized for what it does.

General purpose machines became capable of decoding DVD-quality MPEG2 at
about 500 or 600 Mhz. P-IIIs, or at least it was at that point that
machine makers stopped putting hardware MPEG decoders into "DVD capable"
units.

So the CPUs should be OK for SD, and assuming that the video hardware
can cope it should be possible, but you can't be sure until it's tried.

I just acquired an old Evo, thinking of playing with that...

beww