[mythtv-users] Can myth DVD output 7.1 audio?

Seth Daniel mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org
Tue Jan 15 22:20:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 06:09:39PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 01/10/2008 05:36 PM, Seth Daniel wrote:

> >> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1104
> > Reading this ticket was interesting, but I don't get it.  How would such
> > a setup be...setup?  I can do 7.1 now if I simply pass-thru to my sound
> > card (at least I think I can) and my receiver can deal with it.  So what
> > does the work this ticket describes do?  Can someone explain it, please?
>
> Allows 5.1-channel audio output through analog (or 5.1-channel
> re-encoding for timestretch).  Without the patch, you have 2 choices,
> 2-channel analog and/or AC-3/DTS passthrough.

5.1 channel through analog?  I must really be out of it.  When I think
of analog I think of 'stereo' (i.e. red/white RCA jacks).  Assuming I'm
thinking of the right thing I wasn't even aware that you could do
anything other than 2 channel audio with them.  I've simply been using
the coax/optical pass-thru for so long I never even thought twice about
it.

So would this would be similar to the PCM output options seen on a lot
of DVD players?

--
seth /\ sethdaniel.org