[mythtv-users] AppleTV 2 and MythTV

Peter A. Daly petedaly at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 19:02:30 UTC 2008

Apple today announced the AppleTV 2, their second generation set-top device.

It's time to give Apple's TV product a second look in terms of it
being a companion to a MythTV system.

Even if it doesn't run the MythTV Frontend, here are the key points to consider:

   1. Apple TV does HD
   2. Apple TV 2 can subscribe to video podcasts
   3. MythTV can publish video podcast feeds using the myth2ipod script
   4. It's only $229

Let's take a step back and look at how these two products may be able
to work together...without major hacking of either device.

At $229, I know from experience that there is no way to build a HD
capable frontend for less money. A HD MythTV frontend can be built for
somewhere in the $300 range if you know what to buy and where to shop.

The price was a limiting factor with the original AppleTV. $299 was
too much for what it could do for MythTV. There was no reason to
consider the AppleTV before.

Now at $229, a 23% price drop, with more features to boot, the scale
has been tipped. It's an idea that is starting to maybe not only be
reasonable, but maybe actually make sense.

Personally, I'm excited to see where this will go.  What do you think?

[http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/hardware/AppleTV/AppleTV2.html]

-Pete
MythPVR.com