[mythtv-users] am i dropping frames?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jan 15 16:45:14 UTC 2008

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:

> That all makes perfect sense, but when I plug my cable line directly into
> the tv, the sports programs are great quality. Also, if I up the pvr-500 to
> the max bitrate, I think that would be enough to offset this, but it
> doesn't. Does anyone else have this issue, or do most of you have no problem
> with sports?

Upping the bitrate gives diminishing returns after a certain point, see:

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/tutorial/bitrate.html

There are other parameters besides bitrate, in addition to resolution
there are a slew of parameters that can be set on the PVR's encoder, but
remember that the PVR is a consumer-quality inexpensive device.

But having said that, a PVR can yield very good results. If I look
carefully I can see the artifacts produced by the card, but most
viewers, not knowing what to look for, do not see a difference between
the direct source and a Myth-reproduced picture.

beww