[mythtv-users] Remote control not working in MythWelcome after hibernate

Bryan Bennetts bryan.bennetts at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 10:03:22 UTC 2008

On Sunday 06 January 2008 09:54, Jan wrote:
> Hello MythTV-users!
>
> As stated in the topic, the remote control for my Hauppauge Nova-T 500
> DVB-T card is not working in MythWelcome after resume from hibernate.
> I am using ACPI wakeup and as my system will not wake up from a complete
> power off, I hibernate the system instead. Waking up for scheduled
> recordings works fine, as well as going back to S4 sleep state after the
> desired period of idleness.
>
> The remote control used to be adressed as /dev/input/eventX where the X
> would vary after hibernation, thus causing it to be non functional (except
> the arrow keys, which by the way do work in MythWelcome too) in the
> frontend. I have solved this problem by creating a udev link called
> /dev/input/remote and pointing the /etc/lirc/hardware.conf to the link
> instead of the eventX.
>
> When I power on the Myth box, MythWelcome will instantly start the
> countdown to shut down again and pressing the OK button on the remote to
> start the frontend doesn't do a thing. I will have to press space or return
> on the keyboard (which I ultimately want to get rid off when the HTPC will
> move to the living room). Also the menu button on the remote will not bring
> up the menu. If I open it with M on the keyboard, the arrow keys on the
> remote will let me select the menu options though... In the frontend, the
> remote always works after hibernation.

FWIW, the countdown shouldn't be starting at all.  If the machine is
successfully waking up to start recordings it means that mythWelcome is
correctly setting the wakeup time?  If that's the case when you manually
power up mythWelcome performs a check between the current time and the next
scheduled wakeup time, if the difference is greater than a given threshold it
*should* just start the FE automagically.  Of course, there is the chance you
are manually powering up within the threshold period, at which point all bets
are off and you'd get the case you are seeing.

> I think you get the point...
>

> I already changed the focus settings of XFCE, that did not help.
> If I launch irw in a ssh session while the MythBox is in MythWelcome, I can
> see every keypress.
>

> The facts that the arrow keys always work and ALL keys work after a cold
> boot/reboot make me assume that MythWelcome is addressing the remote
> control as /dev/input/eventX where the X only matches the remote before the
> system got hibernated the first time.
> Still, the only config file I found that mentions the remote as a device
> is /etc/lirc/hardware.conf.
>

> Now some info on my system:
>
> Asus P4B266-LM mainboard with a P4 1.8 GHz and 664 MB RAM
> GeForce 6200 256 MB NVidia Driver 100.14.11
> Hauppauge Nova-T 500 (set up as described in and config files for the
> remote from  the wiki)
> MythBuntu 7.10, MythTV 0.20.2
>
> Rock on,
> Jan

IIRC you can tell hibernate to stop services before going to sleep and restart
them afterwards, you *may* get some mileage stopping lirc/mythbackend and
restarting them or possibly removing the event handling module and
re-inserting it?  I guess experimentation would be the key.

> PS: This is my first post on a mailing list ever, be gentle... ;)
>
> PPS: Seems like KMail does not like Gmail or something. It seemed to me
> that the mail never made it to the list, so I resent it. If it now appears
> twice, I am truly sorry for that.

Hmm, I use KMail and GMail not had this problem...bad luck I guess :)

Bryan.