[mythtv-users] NFS and remote backend

Wade Maxfield mythtv at hotblack.co.nz
Mon Jan 14 22:40:15 UTC 2008

Ryan Steffes wrote:
>> The other programs using the network may be more forgiving of timing
>> issues.  The display of video without stuttering requires the information
>> for the video frame to get to the frontend with enough time to be decoded
>> and rendered. If the frontend is waiting on data from the network it
>> will stutter.
>>

> Well that's what I mean.  I can bog down the network writing any
> number of files and reading files with no stuttering, as long as it
> isn't the file that's being recorded right then.
>
> In other worse:
>
> PVR-150 can record show A while I watch show B and it will be fine.
> PVR-150 can record show A while I watch show A from NFS and it will stutter.
> PVR-150 can record show A while I watch show A streamed from back end
> and it will be fine.
>
> Ditto for other tuners.  I can record several shows from both PVR-150
> and my A180 and watch something and it'll be fine, unless the
> something is being recorded right at that moment.  That makes me think
> it's not the network specifically, but something about the network set
> up, like a refresh issue.

I don't think it's a network setup. I think you'll find some answers in
the discussions about the length of time it takes some setups to change
channels.  There's quite a pipeline that data has to go through before
it's written to the disc, and available for reading by another process.

I'd suggest pausing playback so that you're at least 15 seconds behind
real time.

  - Wade